My mom got this recipe from Food52 and adapted it while I was studying abroad in France. She made it for my dad for Valentine’s dad and sent me pictures. I was dying to make it since then and we finally got around to remaking it last week. It was incredibly moist and the perfect dessert to go with our homemade Ricotta Possibly the best cake I’ve ever tasted!
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk (we used 1 cup whey left over from the ricotta and 1/4 cup heavy cream)
- 3 lg eggs
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated orange/tangerine zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange/tangerine juice
- 1/4 cup amaretto
- Heat oven to 350° F. Oil, butter, or spray a 9-inch cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. In another bowl, whisk the olive oil, milk eggs, orange zest and juice and amaretto. Add the dry ingredients; whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for one hour, until the top is golden and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer the cake to a rack and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the pan, invert the cake onto the rack and let cool completely, 2 hrs
© 2014, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.