I am a firm believer that pickled onions can make almost any salad or sandwich better. They’re a great, easy DIY pantry staple to have on hand in the fridge. Using this basic vinegar-sugar-salt-veg ratio, you can play around with different kinds of veggies and or seeds and seasonings for flavoring, to perfect your pickled goods.
- 1/2 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper corns
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tbsp fennel seeds
- whisk vinegar, sugar and salt until dissolved
- place sliced onions and seeds in a jar
- pour vinegar over and let sit at room temp for 1 hour
- they’ll last for 2 weeks in the fridge
© 2014, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.