Last weekend I went camping in Joshua Tree. It was an amazing amazing experience but by the time I got home I was ready to leave my Lara Bar/Apple/Hummus meals behind me and make some nice pasta. I picked up this squid ink pasta from Trader Joe’s a while back and hadn’t had the chance to try it yet. I’ve always like squid ink pasta, it’s super popular in Southern Italian cuisine, especially when it’s a seafood pasta. I worked at the Fish Shop during the day so I brought home these beautiful scallops :). Maybe I’m biased but I think they’re the bessssst. These roasted tomatoes are also a new Trader Joe’s item that are bomb.com.
- 6 BIG scallops
- 1 pack squid ink pasta
- 10 fresh cherry tomatoes
- 10 roasted dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 1 big handful fresh basil
- 3 tbsp (roughly) olive oil
- 1 pat butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- a splash of white wine (optional)
- boil water and cook pasta according to instructions
- gently clean scallops with a wet paper towel
- heat 1.5 tbsp olive oil and butter in a pan over low heat, allow the butter to start to brown, add nutmeg
- add scallops gently (tongs are great for this)
- let scallops cook on each side for about 2 minutes then flip them, they should be just starting to get some color on the bottom
- when they start to stick to the pan add a splash of wine to deglaze the pan
- when they are pure white and just starting to brown remove them from the pan, set them on a plate in the oven to keep warm
- strain pasta then add it back to the pasta bowl, drizzle with remaining olive oil, halve tomatoes and add them to the pasta
- serve pasta and top with three scallops each, drizzle with sauce from the scallop pan
- slice basil and use it to garnish, parmesan and red pepper flakes optional!
© 2018, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.