When I was little and we’d go out for dinner, if there was something with mushrooms on the menu, I’d order it, no questions asked. It always upset my dad because I almost always ended up with the best dinner. What can I say, I was wise beyond my years.
Something that is not always so wise, is buying mushrooms from Costco. Not that they’re bad quality (probably not the greatest but..), but you have to buy them by the hundred (poetic license). The bright side is that there are so many things you can do with excessive mushrooms. Stir fry, stroganoff, stuffed mushrooms…
The other night I was going about my business, sautéing some tasty fungi when I was struck by a stroke of genius: add globs of goat cheese to the balsamic pool I had inadvertently drowned my mushrooms in. Divine.
- 10 large crimini mushrooms
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pat butter
- *would be great with some rosemary, thyme or sage or all three
- in a medium-sized pan (non-stick preferably) heat butter and olive oil
- mince garlic and add it to the pan after the butter has melted
- cut ends of the stems off of the mushrooms, clean and slice
- add them to the pan and cover for five minutes
- add balsamic and cover for another five minutes, until squishy and deep brown
- add goat cheese and stir around until incorporated
great served over pasta, on pizza or slurped up with good bread
© 2015, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.