We get a lot of chard in our CSA and I always tend to steam or saute it with some garlic and vinegar or citrus. And that’s always good but this time I wanted to try something different. Chard is full of vitamins and it’s actually better wilted so it is a great vehicle for warm sauces, unlike other daintier leafy greens. Anchovies and capers give this a salty-umami Mediterranean taste and the warm yellow tomatoes balance it with a little sweetness.
- 1 bunch chard
- 4 anchovies in olive oil
- 15 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 lg garlic clove
- splash red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp capers
- red chili flakes
- slice chard off of ribs then julienne the leaves (long skinny slices), I like to roll together a few pieces then slice them to save time and make them more uniform, put chard in a mixing bowl
- drain olive oil from the anchovies and heat it (the oil) over medium heat in a sauce pan
- mince the garlic and add it to the pan, once garlic is opaque add anchovies and mash with the back of a fork, add red chili flakes
- add capers, tomatoes and red wine vinegar then cover the pan for a minute
- uncover the pan once the tomatoes appear to be deflating a bit then carefully squash them with the back of a fork (angle them away so that you don’t squirt yourself or your kitchen with hot tomato juices)
- pour the sauce over the chard and cover for a couple minutes until chard is just starting to wilt, then mix it all together, finish with pepper
© 2015 – 2016, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.