It’s been sooo hot (or at least soo hot for us coastal San Diegans) so I’ve been trying to come up with sneaky ways to avoid turning on the oven at all and still having protein/veggie rich meals. I love love love smoked fish but it can sometimes be pricy. This peppered rainbow trout from Trader Joe’s is the bomb and is also only $4 for a pack that has 4 servings. Thanks Trader Joe’s! Another shoutout to my dad’s friend, Tom, for supplying us with a steady source of avocados from his tree!
- 2 servings of peppered rainbow trout or your favorite kind of smoked/cured fish
- 2 eggs
- 2 handfuls lettuce
- 1 cup bulgur (uncooked)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small/medium avocado
- 5 slices cucumber
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 splash red wine vin
- olive oil
- soft boil eggs
- cook bulgur according to package instructions
- drain garbanzos and rinse, then move to a medium sized bowl and stir in dijon, red wine vin and salt and pepper to taste
- halve and slice tomato and avocado, slice cucumbers
- assemble bowls: a handful lettuce each, a spoonful of bulgur and garbanzos in each, distribute avo, tomato and cucumber evenly
- peel eggs and place in each bowl and lastly don’t forget the fish!
- dress with olive oil and more red wine vinegar
© 2018, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.
We planted fava beans in the beginning of the year and with our all of the rain we got they’ve taken off and grown over my head! They are super beautiful plants and these favas are so incredibly green, I just keep marveling at them. They are also available in lots of grocery stores and farmers markets now if you don’t happen to have a forrest of them in your front yard. This is a light pasta dish that we created to focus on the spring flavors.
- 1 pack (1 lb) whole grain orzo (or reg. orzo)
- 8 cups chicken broth (or a mix of water and broth)
- 1 1/2 cups fava beans (pods removed, with outer bean layer still on)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream (optional)
- 2 tbsp julienned mint
- asparagus tips (remaining from pesto)
- more asiago for serving
for the pesto:
- 1/4 cup mint
- juice of 1 1/2 lemons and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 lg garlic clove
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 5 fat asparagus spears (cut off tips)
- 2 tbsp grated asiago
- tbsp olive oil
- cook the orzo according to package instructions
- meanwhile remove fava beans from pods and boil for 30 seconds then move to an ice bath, let sit for 2 minutes then remove with a strainer and use your fingernails or a knife to peel outer layer off, use the same water to blanch asparagus for 1 minute, transfer them to an ice bath as well
- blend all pesto ingredients together in a food processor
- when the orzo is pretty cooled off stir the cream (if using) and pesto in
- serve and garnish with asparagus tips, fava beans, mint and more cheese!
© 2017, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.