Going along with the pumpkin theme this week (and to use up the rest of the can of pureed pumpkin that I opened for the cookies) I made this delicious pumpkin oatmeal this morning. It’s so tasty and warming, definitely not any boring old oatmeal!
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp Vega Protein Powder (vanilla)
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- bring 1/2 cup oats and 3/4 cups water to a boil then turn down to a simmer, let oats soak up some liquid then add pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and protein powder and stir to combine
- top with a blob of almond butter and maybe a little more cinnamon and dig in!
© 2018, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.
I like to make a big batch of overnight oats to have through the week for fast and easy post-yoga breakfasts. For this one I used vanilla and rosemary to flavor it. I love rosemary in almost anything, most people think of it as a seasoning reserved for savory dishes but I think it’s great incorporated into breakfasts and desserts too. Not to mention its many health benefits; it’s rich in iron, calcium and vitamin B6. According to some studies it has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, improves digestion and prevents brain aging. But more importantly it just tastes good! Our rosemary plant has TONS of flowers right now, which the bees love, but I also think are very pretty so I picked some for a garnish on my oats. They are edible and taste pretty much like rosemary but a bit more flowery- go figure.
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- dash of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- dash of ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 4 rosemary sprigs
- almond butter
- crystallized ginger
- pomegranate seeds
- tangerine slices
- toasted coconut
- in a medium sized tupperware, combine oats, water and spices then put in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight
- use a blender or food processor to blend part of the oats to make a smoother consistency, I blended about 3/4 of the soaked oats to make it on the more creamy side
- return it to the tupperware and add chia, flax and hemp seeds and stir to incorporate- these will thicken it up overnight and give it more texture
- return to fridge overnight, in the morning serve some up and top with your choice of goodies!
© 2016, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.