My mom has been making this salsa for as long as I can remember. After Thanksgiving she always makes a big batch of it and then cooks up the leftover turkey in the green salsa for a taco or enchilada filling. It’s one of the tastiest and healthiest post-thanksgiving meals. The tomatillos make it slightly tangy and you can adjust the spiciness depending on how many chiles and what kind you use.
- 20 medium sized tomatillos
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 serrano
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- peel tomatillos and quarter, chop a jalapeno and a serrano in thirds
- put tomatillos and peppers in a medium sized pot and add enough chicken broth to cover tomatillos
- bring to a boil then bring it down to a simmer (uncovered) until tomatillos are soft, remove from heat and let cool
- remove the big stems from the cilantro but otherwise you can leave it intact, wash
- clean garlic and put cloves in a Vitamix, along with the tomatillo mixture and the cilantro
- blend until fairly smooth (a few of seconds), then add salt or more chilis to taste
© 2014 – 2015, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.