This one goes out to the late Beach City Burrito. Which closed a long time ago and has been many things since but still haunts my memory with its date shakes. When I was learning to surf as a youngin with my dad, the mention of a date shake was a sure fire way of getting me out there even in the worst conditions. They came in big styrofoam cups and were so creamy! What was their secret? We’ll never know. And I’m sure they were nowhere near healthy.
Well, life goes on so I guess I’ll just work on perfecting my rendition. This really wasn’t anything like ye old BCB date shake but it had dates and bananas and tasted really really good so.. there’s a connection.
- 3 dates
- 1 1/2 frozen bananas + a couple slices of a non-frozen one for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- a few dashes cinnamon
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp sunflower seed butter (or your nut butter of choice)
- a splash water
- chia seeds/ flax seeds
- pit dates and cut one in quarters for garnish (optional)
- in a blender blend frozen bananas, yogurt, sunflower seed butter, cocoa powder and some cinnamon and some water
- add water as needed for your desired consistency
- pour into a bowl (or cup, whatever floats your boat) and top with more cinnamon, seeds, banana slices and the last date
© 2016, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.