This was my first real foray into making a nut-based cheese sauce but I thought I’d give it a shot. Nutritional yeast is kinda weird but REALLY works, it’s crazy. Also I wanted to use up the rest of my squid ink pasta and also use zucchini noodles so I just went ahead and combined them here. You can definitely use one or the other but you gotta admit, it does look pretty cool with two colors of noodles.
- 2 cup leftover squid ink noodles (optional)
- 2* cups zucchini noodles (zoodles, if you will) *[FOUR cups of zoodles if not using leftover squid ink pasta]
- 1 generous dash of everything but the bagel spice (trader joe’s)
- 8 oz crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup each; cashews and almonds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp sauerkraut juice (literally the juice in the sauerkraut jar)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 dash himalayan salt
- soak cashews and almonds in hot water for an hour
- in a food processor blend nuts, and following 5 ingredients until smooth, add water if too dry
- in a big skillet or wok heat the olive oil and add the everything bagel seasoning over medium heat, add mushrooms, cook for about 3 minutes with lid on
- add zucchini noodles and coconut aminos and cook for an additional 5 minutes, you can do this in batches if it’s too much for your pan, stir occasionally
- then add other noodles (already cooked), if using
- spoon the sauce over the noodles and mushrooms and stir until combined
- garnish with basil or chili flakes or both, done!
© 2018, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.