I’d been wary of banana “nice cream” for a while but I decided to give it a try the other night when I had an ice cream hankering but no ice cream. It turned out pretty good! It’s all about the toppings though.
- take bananas out of the freezer and give them a quick minute to soften slightly
- in a small food processor blend bananas and vanilla extract
- blend until they reach a smooth soft serve kind of consistency but not too much, you don’t want it to turn into a smoothie!
- then scoop out and top with your favorite toppings! mine are date caramel and chocolate chunks ATM
© 2018, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.
It was really hot for a few days and I made an executive decision that we would need a cool dessert.
For Ice Cream:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup whey/milk
- 2 green tea bags
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp powdered cardamom
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar
- scald the milk/or whey whatever you’re using, then remove from heat
- cut open tea bags and steep for four minutes
- strain through a find mesh sieve into a clean pot
- add heavy cream and bring to a simmer over medium high heat
- ladle 1/3 of the cream mix into the eggs and whisk well to combine
- add all of the egg mixture to the cream and cook over low heat, stirring until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon or somewhat close, about five minutes
- let cool in the fridge for about two hours
- put in ice cream maker and follow instructions
For Oatmeal-Nut Cookie Bowls:
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts + 1/4 cup almonds and a little water ground into paste OR 1 cup almond or hazelnut butter/spread
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup honey
- mix all dry ingredients (oats, raisins, nuts and seeds) in a large bowl
- then mix in all wet ingredients (nut butter, applesauce, vanilla, honey) until gooey
- mold into whatever form you wish. i did some into cookie bowls and the rest into a loaf pan for protein-energy bars for my dad’s surf trip
© 2014, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.