It’s been sooo hot (or at least soo hot for us coastal San Diegans) so I’ve been trying to come up with sneaky ways to avoid turning on the oven at all and still having protein/veggie rich meals. I love love love smoked fish but it can sometimes be pricy. This peppered rainbow trout from Trader Joe’s is the bomb and is also only $4 for a pack that has 4 servings. Thanks Trader Joe’s! Another shoutout to my dad’s friend, Tom, for supplying us with a steady source of avocados from his tree!
- 2 servings of peppered rainbow trout or your favorite kind of smoked/cured fish
- 2 eggs
- 2 handfuls lettuce
- 1 cup bulgur (uncooked)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 small/medium avocado
- 5 slices cucumber
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 splash red wine vin
- olive oil
- soft boil eggs
- cook bulgur according to package instructions
- drain garbanzos and rinse, then move to a medium sized bowl and stir in dijon, red wine vin and salt and pepper to taste
- halve and slice tomato and avocado, slice cucumbers
- assemble bowls: a handful lettuce each, a spoonful of bulgur and garbanzos in each, distribute avo, tomato and cucumber evenly
- peel eggs and place in each bowl and lastly don’t forget the fish!
- dress with olive oil and more red wine vinegar
© 2018, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.
This is a super simple, pretty healthy and wholly satisfying meal. Also very affordable. These were all just things I happened to pick up at Trader Joe’s the other day.
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- red chili flakes
- 2 cups whole wheat penne pasta
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 3 generous handfuls of spinach
- heat olive oil in a medium sized pan over medium high heat add (minced) garlic and tomatoes and cover
- cook pasta according to instructions
- once tomatoes start to blister, pop them with a knife or fork and add goat cheese
- once goat cheese starts melting, mix it with the tomato juices and add rosemary (remove from stem), bring down heat and let simmer
- when pasta is finished, drain and quickly steam spinach in the pasta pot with a couple teaspoons of water
- remove spinach with tongs, shaking off excess liquid, and add it into the goat cheese sauce pan and take that off the heat, season with salt and pepper to taste
- pour sauce over pasta, sprinkle with chili flakes, pour yourself a glass of wine and dig in!
© 2016, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.
I love shell fish but it’s kind of a luxury for this college budget thing. Luckily Trader Joe’s has affordable frozen bags of good-quality shell fish to satisfy my needs. I threw together this light meal for some of my friends one night after class and it was a nice change from the normal proteins.
- 1 pack frozen shell fish from Trader Joe’s (thawed)
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- generous amounts black pepper
- sprinkle of sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- mince garlic and heat olive oil in a sauce pan
- add garlic to the pan
- once garlic turns opaque, add shell fish
- cook over medium-low heat, add paprika, black pepper and salt
- meanwhile, blend lemon juice, parsley and other tbsp olive oil in a food processor
- take shell fish off heat once they’ve turned white
- you can either stir the parsley-lemon sauce into the seafood mix or serve it on the side
© 2015, domenicadreamsofcalamari. All rights reserved.